Shelly D Vopat has served
as the Ellsworth County Clerk
Please contact the County Clerk's office if you have any questions.
Phone: 785-472-4161 or email Shelly
Deputy Clerk: Julie Neuman
Election Clerk: Elizabeth George
210 N Kansas Ave, Suite 6
Ellsworth, KS 67439
Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
The Ellsworth Courthouse will open to the public May 19th at 8:00 a.m.
In order to maintain proper social distancing, the Clerk’s Office can only
have 1 customer in the office at one time.
We are still encouraging Patrons to use our drop box or mail to conduct
their business. We will work with you via telephone or email to get these
Like us on Facebook!!
Term: The County Clerk is elected in November, the same years as the Presidential
Election, for a term of four years. There are no term limits for this position.
The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties
as specified by State Statutes.
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps the minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioner's meeting, including contracts and agreements entered into by county;
- Records all deeds and transfer and maintains the County Tax rolls;
- Maintains and balances;
- Assists in the preparation of Township, Fire Districts and Cemetery Budgets. Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
- Maintains separate, detailed bookkeeping for auditor's records;
- Compiles, calculates prepares tax levies;
- Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
- Accumulates and files a bonded indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
- Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintain voter database; accepts filings for public office;
- Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all county departments and receives all claims filed against the county;
- Administers the County employee benefits programs, including health insurance and retirement plans;
- Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy;
- Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distribution to County Treasurer;
- Serves as County Freedom of Information Officer;
- Maintains inventories and long range plans;
- Provides assistance to county residents in preparing Homestead Tax Refund Application for the Kansas Department of Revenue;
- Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments in the county;
- Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits and submits monthly and annual reports
Kansas Secretary Of State
Kansas Dept. of Wildlife And Parks
Kansas License And Permits
Application for Cereal Malt Beverage License
Ellsworth County Floodplain Permit
A Guide to Open Records
Open Records Request Form